National Museum, Bloemfonteinan agency of the Department of Arts and Culture
The Design Department, together with the Workshop, is responsible for all the artistic and technical support for Museum activities. The first dedicated artist employed at the Museum was the renowned sculptor Laura Rautenbach, appointed in October 1954. She held the post until 1958. Mr Septimus Roos was appointed as Museum Assistant shortly after Rautenbach’s resignation. He proved to be an excellent taxidermist and artist and later became Head of the Art Department. Renamed the Design Department, this section is responsible for the design of permanent and temporary exhibitions as well as the design of brochures, marketing material, educational booklets and the preparation of scientific drawings and maps where necessary.
Technical work at the Museum was undertaken by technical assistants, mostly temporary, for a number of years. In 1969 the first cabinet maker, Mr H.C. Koen, was appointed. Since then, the Workshop staff complement has grown to six members - two artisans and four assistants - responsible for the building of permanent and temporary exhibitions, restoration and maintenance of exhibits and equipment.